Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Ah, so this is why we like music?

http://science.time.com/2013/04/15/music/?iid=tsmodule

I remember saying to myself "this article looks interesting", whether or not that was a few days ago and I just got around to reading it is a different story.  If you have the time, check it out.

Moving on, I have been thinking a lot lately about how different people seem to be drawn towards different types of music.  I really enjoy it when I find out what a persons favorite song is, mainly because they are always so different.  In short summary the article says that we enjoy listening to music for two main reasons.  The first is that it can release the magic brain chemical "dopamine" sending us into happy thought land.  Second, it may actually feed our brains desire to make accurate predictions about what is going to happen in the future.  Lets all think of our favorite song.  Done?  Good.  Chances are there are many songs that sound a lot like it, and if you were played one of these songs, you'd probably like it a lot.  Why?  Because you are most likely able to make a prediction of how the next beat of the song will sound.  People like to know things, apparently.

This has got me thinking about the way that we are all exposed to music these days.  Much more on this to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment