Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Step in the right direction?

     First off, sorry that it has been so long since I last updated this blog.  From now I will post at least once a week.  Next, about a week ago, CBS news named Wynton Marsalis their cultural adviser.  (http://wyntonmarsalis.com/news/entry/wynton-marsalis-named-cbs-news-cultural-correspondent)  I've been thinking about this for a few days now, and would really like to hear what you guys think.  Like most newsworthy events surrounding jazz lately, the public seems to be quite divided on this issue.  Also, as usual, most of this debate has been done via facebook, by the same people that have been arguing about the BAM movement (refer to last blog post for info on the BAM movement).

Before you read on, check out these two links;

-http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/153047-wyntons-blues/

-http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57359636/wynton-marsalis-my-relationship-to-mlk/?tag=mncol;lst;3

     The first is a blog bashing everything about the decision and Wynton.  The second is a link to Wynton at work in the CBS studio.  It is the only link that I have been able to find.  I'm not sure how often he appears on the show, or how many of his segments will be available on the internet.  If any of you have more information on this, please share  Anywho, the video is enough to get a sense of his role at CBS.

      ...And welcome back.  I'm just going to dive right in and say that I think this is a great move for the music industry.  Not just jazz, but the music industry as a whole.  In the opening seconds of the video you see a clip of Wynton playing his trumpet.  I don't know about you, but it is not that often that I see a musician playing an instrument unaccompanied on national television.  One point for live music.  Next, the guy really does know what he is talking about, or at least it seems that way to me.  At first I thought it was a little odd that he starting talking about this background in New Orleans.  Then I realized that he was simply referring to a time, and experiences that aren't discussed in public every day.  One point for culture.

     I do understand most of the complaints of the pop matters blog guy.  However, I don't think they are worth stressing over.  Yes, it is true that Wynton's concept of jazz has been, and isn't the most forward looking.  But, we also have to keep in mind that he is working for CBS, not pitchfork.  (www.pitchfork.com)  People that tune into CBS aren't looking for the cutting edge, and this is not a bad thing.  

     Here is how I see it.  Wynton is the face of Jazz at Lincoln Center.  This new position gives jazz at Lincoln Center more exposure than ever before.  I also feel that Lincoln Center is doing a better job than in the past of diversifying their performances.  Most of their early sets feature the veterans of this music.  In my opinion they deserve such a setting.  Next, most of their later sets consist of New York's up and coming musicians.  I see nothing wrong with giving either of these crowds more exposure.  So to make a long story short, I feel that any exposure to jazz is good exposure.  That is why I see nothing wrong with CBS and their new cultural adviser.  Again, music is a business.  Wynton and Jazz at Lincoln Center have done their part to build a following.  Instead of bashing that following, the rest of us need to figure out a way to do the same.  CBS is not the only avenue to accomplish this goal. 

     Lastly, if you want a great work out, buy this (http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-a-shake-weight?utm_medium=email&utm_source=channel_goods-deals&sid=11077792&user=4fec0d2fb8b476b1072a138e088aa1bbb230004c18225cc6138ef6e7c0a467d9&utm_campaign=11077792&s=body&d=gg-a-shake-weight&p=1&c=deal_button) and read again, and again, and again.














 



 


2 comments:

  1. Hey Leon,

    Great to see your blog and I've enjoyed both of these posts and look forward to your next installment. I added Brain Food to my blogroll.

    As for the Wynton CBS MLK video, I thought it was awesome. Heartfelt and honest. And I think Wynton is a smart choice for CBS' cultural correspondence. Is he the perfect choice? Maybe not for me and my personal aesthetic tastes, but he is a great choice considering the average American consumer. If his contributions end up being as poignant and relevant as the MLK piece then I think he'll be just fine. And yeah, any time you've got a real trumpet being played on actual network TV then I'm absolutely cool with that.

    Hope all is good with you - Black and Gold!

    Bart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, Bart. Thanks for reading and good to hear from you. I agree 100 percent with your thoughts on Wynton. Im actually going to browse around now to see if I can find a second video.

    I hope you are doing well.

    Leon

    ReplyDelete